~ Life Without Uberman ~

Starting the fourth week, I felt justly pleased with myself. I had succeeded where many, many people had failed. In fact, in all of my investigations into the Uberman schedule, I could only find five or so people who had actually fully adapted, and written about it. I could feel the zingy alertness and energetic vibe that other adapters had promised I would feel. For so long it had been a far off promise, a distant reality beyond my grasp, and now I had it. It was a kind of background buzz.

But reality is never as good as you would imagine. For as many times as I had been told about the benefits of the Uberman, I had heard cautionary tails about just how much extra time you got, and how hard it was to fill that time. I always disregarded these warnings, because I thought I was simply a lot busier than normal people were. I really did have the ˇ®two life time's worth of things to achieve, which is what you need to fill up all the extra hours Uberman gives you'. And I think I was right to disregard the warnings, in general. I needed to find out if I could do the adaptation (something that is still disputed, even though there are scientific studies proving it can be done) before I found out if I should do the adaptation. I gained so much by simply trying to adapt, that nothing extra was required. As it turns out, the warnings are unfortunately very poignant and will probably come to bear on anyone who tries to adapt to Uberman at some point or other.

During the fourth week I started to run out of things to do. The Monday and Tuesday were ok, but I seemed to be spending a lot of time reading or watching DVDs, because it is simply not possible to apply yourself to work-type activities for very long, before becoming a bit bored by them. I suppose the answer would be to have a lot of interesting jobs lined up, and to chop-and-change between them during a waking period. I didn't do this, however, and quickly ran out of motivation. It was quite a strange feeling, because I was wide awake (until close to nap times) but felt quite restless. This was especially evident at night and in the early mornings when no body else was around. I didn't live in a city with a 24-hour gym / supermarket / etc at the time, so didn't have an outlet for my lack of human contact during the night times.