~ Life With Uberman ~

Clearly the first two weeks were going to be the most difficult. I knew that before I even started. What I didní»t know was what to expect after the first two weeks. My first day back at work had been unpleasant but not unbearable, but things had to get better, and quickly, if I was to stick with this. I think it's fair to say that the next day back at work didn't go much better than the first. I was told by my boss in no uncertain terms that I had had my fun and that I should stop the experiment and get my head back on track. From a business point of view, he was completely right, but as far as personal development goes, that was not in my best interest. Personal development is more important to me than the needs of the business (unless I own the business). Even so, I need to have money coming in, so I took this pseudo-threat seriously. I made a mental promise to myself to give it until the end of the week and if I was no better, to jack it all in.

Over the next few days I experienced a slow but noticeable return to something resembling normal (non-tired) waking hours. I had been dreaming very vividly during most, if not all, naps since day seven or eight, and over the last few days I found these dreaming naps very restful. It wasn't, as I had expected before starting this attempt, the case that I simply woke up one morning and felt almost fully restored. It was a gradual process between days 15 and 17. And as I have said before, this seems to be a very personal process, so I wouldn't recommend expecting to adapt or 'feel better' on any given day. In very general terms, however, it does seem to be around day 16 that people start to feel a lot better.

By day 18, I was almost totally recovered, and feeling fantastic. (In hindsight, I'm not sure if I felt as good as normal, or if I was just so glad to be out of the woods that I thought I was feeling normal.) During the nights, I was now able to do whatever I wanted. The promised land had come.